Ikpen Captivates Nairobi at Made in Africa Fashion Showcase

 Ikpen Captivates Nairobi at Made in Africa Fashion Showcase.



By Fride Amiani

Nairobi, August 16, 2025

The Social House, Nairobi, was transformed into a hub of elegance and cultural pride yesterday evening during “Made in Africa Celebrating Excellence in Fashion with Ikpen.”

 The showcase brought together fashion lovers, designers, stylists, and influencers to witness the artistry of Nigerian luxury fashion brand Ikpen, celebrated for blending African heritage with modern sophistication.

Guests arriving on Friday evening were treated to an intimate fashion showcase that highlighted Ikpen’s intricate tailoring, vibrant fabrics, and timeless designs. The event, not only celebrated fashion but also the resilience, creativity, and craftsmanship at the heart of African design.

Kenya’s top fashion stylist and creative director, Connie Aluoch, who hosted the showcase, praised Ikpen for setting new standards in African luxury.

 “Ikpen represents the essence of African excellence a brand that is not only rooted in culture but also forward-looking in design and craftsmanship. Hosting this showcase in Nairobi is part of our mission to celebrate and elevate African luxury fashion,” she said.

The highlight of the evening came from Ikpen’s lead designer, who took guests on a personal journey of passion, sacrifice, and triumph in the fashion industry. Sharing his story, he said:

“I have three kids, a wife, and I would say a seamstress because I’m very passionate about fabrics and tailoring. When you’re passionate about fabrics and tailoring, you have to think about how to put the fabrics you’ve designed into styles people can wear for different occasions. That was one of the things that got me into the fashion business in the first place.”

The designer revealed that his career began in university two decades ago. “I started the fashion business when I was in my second year at the university. I liked books, I liked reading, but I also had this deep urge to create.

 A friend of mine once admired a top I made, and suddenly everyone wanted one. That’s how it all started.”

Though he faced resistance, especially from his family, his determination drove him forward. He recalled attending Paris Fashion Week as a turning point that opened his eyes to the potential of African indigenous fabrics.

 “That’s where my mind was opened to going back to our local methods of producing prints and fabrics  the batik, the tie-dye, the woven textiles. I discovered the richness of what we have here in Africa, and that has remained the foundation of my work.”

He also gave guests an insight into the painstaking process behind Ikpen’s designs. 

“From conception to execution, it can take months to finish a single piece. Sometimes we work on a design for six months before it is ready. What you saw tonight was pure magic, but behind that magic is a journey  inspiration, trials, adjustments, and an unrelenting pursuit of excellence.”

The designer emphasized that beyond commercial value, his greatest reward comes from seeing his creations worn and appreciated. 

“The pleasure is when someone wears it with pride. That gives me more gratitude than even the price attached to it,” he added.

The showcase left many in awe, with models draped in colorful, finely tailored pieces that told stories of heritage, resilience, and innovation. Guests described the evening as a celebration not just of fashion, but of African identity and creativity.

As the event concluded, it became clear that Made in Africa was more than just a fashion showcase it was a statement.

 A statement that African designers like Ikpen are not only preserving tradition but are also reshaping global perceptions of luxury and style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attorney General Launches Taskforce to Overhaul Public Trustee Department, End Years of Delays.

Investment Forum Unlocks Incentives to Boost Africa’s Manufacturing Growth.

UASU Sets Seven-Day Strike Deadline as CBA Dispute Escalates