IEBC Committee Finds Kasipul By-Election Candidates Liable for Deadly Violence, Issues Heavy Sanctions.
IEBC Committee Finds Kasipul By-Election Candidates Liable for Deadly Violence, Issues Heavy Sanctions.
By Jeff Oyugi.
Nairobi – November 19, 2025
The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) Electoral Code of Conduct Enforcement Committee on Wednesday delivered a hard-hitting determination against Kasipul by-election candidates Philip Aroko and Boyd Were Ong'ondo, finding both men culpable for the violence that left two people dead, several others injured and property destroyed in the Opondo area on 6 November 2025.
The ruling, delivered by Committee Chairperson Dr. Alutalala Mukhwana alongside Commissioners Prof. Francis Aguilera, Hassan Nour Hassan, Ahmad Rizwan and others, followed the consolidation of 12 separate complaints filed by the candidates against each other under reference IPCC-ECC-EC-01-25.
“Kasipul is bleeding. It has to stop,” Dr. Mukhwana declared as he unveiled the Committee’s findings.
Both Aroko, an independent candidate, and Were, running on the ODM ticket, admitted they were present at Opondo on the day of the clashes despite an IEBC-approved campaign schedule that did not permit activities in the area.
The returning officer confirmed that neither candidate had been authorised to campaign in Opondo, and although discussions on amending the schedule had taken place, no changes were approved because not all candidates attended the required security briefing.
The Committee found that the candidates’ deliberate disregard of IEBC instructions and campaign timelines directly contributed to the eruption of violence.
In its detailed analysis, the Committee ruled that the pair violated multiple provisions of the Electoral Code of Conduct, including failure to publicly condemn violence, failure to restrain their supporters, holding unauthorised meetings, display of weapons by their supporters, and engaging in conduct likely to cause violence and intimidation.
The Committee also cited intelligence reports revealing interference by the Homabay County Government, condemning the use of public resources in political campaigns as a breach of Section 14 of the Elections Offences Act (1966).
Police investigations confirmed the deaths, injuries and the destruction recorded, noting that attempts to arrest suspects were thwarted when a group associated with one of the candidates attacked officers and freed detainees.
After reviewing oral and written submissions, the Committee issued the following orders: formal stern warnings to both Philip Aroko and Boyd Were Ong'ondo to strictly adhere to the IEBC’s harmonised campaign schedule; a fine of KSh 1 million each, payable within 48 hours; a final warning that any repeat violation could lead to disqualification from the November 27 by-election; and an order that both candidates immediately sign the Political Decency and Peace Charter in public and commit to peaceful campaigns.
The ruling was formally signed by Commissioners Dr. Alutalala Mukhwana, Hassan Nour Hassan, Mary Karen Sorobit, Anne Derito and Prof. Francis Aguilera.
The Commission urged all political players to promote peace, warning that election periods must never become “spaces where lives are endangered.” “Women, the sick, the elderly and the youth must freely walk into polling centres without fear that a machete will cut their head,” the Committee emphasised.
They further reminded the public that IEBC staff work “for the nation” and deserve safe conditions. “Kasipul has bled, but it has to stop,” Commissioner Mukhwana said.
Immediately after the ruling, both candidates publicly signed the Political Decency and Peace Charter, pledging to uphold calm throughout the campaign period.
Philip Aroko, speaking after signing, said,
“I have been a peaceful man since I started this campaign. I have signed this document knowing that if I do anything opposite, then the consequences fall on me but I do not fear, because I know I will keep peace.”
He added that he would represent his supporters “peacefully and honourably,” calling on the IEBC to ensure security throughout the remaining campaign period.
Boyd Were Ong’ondo also issued a detailed statement after the ruling, defending his conduct while urging residents to maintain peace.
“On Monday we were summoned by the IEBC. We appeared and now a decision has been made. Although there were initial reports, intelligence reports, that were issued to the committee which were not served to me personally or to my lawyer in advance which, if given time, I would have commented on,”he said.
“But nevertheless, I respect the decision of the committee and I'll seek further guidance on the same. I've signed the Political Decency and Peace Charter for political candidates, but it doesn't mean that I'm guilty. I want to reaffirm my commitment to advocating for peace in Kasipul.”
Were urged calm ahead of the vote,
“I want to urge my supporters, I want to urge all candidates in the Kasipul by-elections, all residents of Kasipul let's maintain peace. Let's embrace each other. It's only one week to the by-elections, so let's campaign peacefully and maintain peace.”
“At the end of the day, we'll only have one Member of Parliament, and the people of Kasipul will choose their member.”
The Commission concluded by urging all political actors in Kasipul and across the country to reflect on the violence and ensure future elections do not place citizens at risk.
“We have no business being where we are today. We ought to be out there building the nation in peace and harmony,” Commissioner Mukhwana said.
The Committee expressed hope that the Kasipul by-election would proceed peacefully and that “the winner will shake hands with the loser,” setting an example of democratic maturity.

Comments
Post a Comment